Having been a doctor for the last 10 years, working every day with babies and children, I thought I was pretty well-placed to know everything-about-everything when Doof was born. However I soon learnt being a mum is very different to being a doctor...
Saturday, 24 June 2017
Toddler cooking solo - Fruit fries
Now Iz is coming up to 3 I am letting her do more and more in the kitchen and am enjoying doing recipes where she can do it nearly all by herself. This is one of those :)
Packet roll-out shortcrust pastry
Pot of fruit puree (we used one of the Hipp mixed fruit ones we use for pudding)
Sugar for sprinkling
1. Roll out the pastry
2. Spoon the fruit puree onto one half of the pastry sheet, leaving about a 1cm edge puree-free (difficult to do with an excited toddler!)
3. Fold the uncovered pastry half over the puree and push the edges together to seal
4. Whisk an egg and add 2 teaspoons of water
5. Mix well and brush over the pastry
6. Sprinkle sugar lightly over the top (optional)
7. Cut into strips/fries/squares/triangles (whatever shape you want) - we used a pizza cutter and that worked really well. I did do this bit though because I had visions of Iz just squidging all the filling out the sides!
8. Grease a baking tray and lay out the fries
9. Bake in pre-heated 180 degree oven for 10-12 minutes