Monday 22 September 2014

Toddler cooking (5)



If you've read any of my previous "Toddler cooking" posts you'll know I love cooking with Doof but it's great to discover new recipes - especially ones I can make with him. So I was very excited to see the "Kids in the kitchen" linky and (despite missing the first 4 weeks!) realise I could still join in.

This week is 'snacks' and so Doof and I made something that combines two of his favourite things - marmite and cheese. I like to do recipes with him where he can do at least 80% of it on his own (although heavily supervised!!) but ideally 100% which is why the fruit pancakes were perfect. As he's only 21 months though this does mean our recipes are quite simple :)
 
******

Marmite pinwheels

Toddler age: 21 months

Ingredients: Ready-to-roll short crust pastry, marmite, mild cheddar, water

Equipment: Cheese grater, knife (& toddler-safe one), paintbrush, baking tray, baking paper, ramekin dish, teaspoon

What you need


Recipe:

1. Put a spoonful of marmite in the ramekin dish and mix with a small amount of water until it becomes a thickish paste which easily drips off your spoon
2. Unroll the pastry and "paint" one side with the marmite paste, leaving about an inch clean on one edge. We found a clean paintbrush was perfect for this :)
3. Sprinkle grated cheese over the marmite layer (the even-ness of this depends on your toddler!)
4. Paint the clean inch (left in step 2) with a little water
5. Roll up the sheet, finishing with the water edge which will help to deal the roll
6. Cut into slices
7. Put each slice onto a lined baking tray and Cook at 160 degrees (fan) for about 10-15 minutes 

D demonstrating how easy it is :)

What did Doof enjoy doing?

- stirring and spreading the marmite mix
- sprinkling (and eating!) the cheese
- rolling up the filled pastry
- arranging the "wheels" on the baking tray 

What was Doof not interested in or unable to do?

- I didn't let him grate the cheese (although I suspect he probably could make a decent attempt at it) as I didn't fancy any grated fingers in our pinwheels... I think he's still too young as even though dexterity-wise he might be capable, that doesn't mean I think it's safe for him
- cut the whole roll into "wheels". He wanted to do it and did try but the blunt toddler-safe knife ended up just squashing the pastry rather than slicing it!
- putting the tray in or out of the oven


If he's willing to let his ice lolly melt then it must be good...


These were a real success and I felt they were a more healthy snack option than when we'd made chocolate nests or the marshmallow pizza

They did end up quite large though (even for an adult, so definitely for a toddler!) so next time I'd cut the pastry sheet in half so when rolled up it's only half as big. And I might also try a tomato paste with vegetables and cheese as a "main course" option.



2 comments:

  1. It is so cool getting them involved in the kitchen, huh?! Myles has always shown interest but I am usually not in the mood to clean up the mess he will end up making. So doing this series has been nice because I have been able to let him get involved. I hope to do it more as the years go on. I want him to know how to cook.
    I'm not familiar with marmite. It seems like I have heard of it before, but I can't say I've ever seen, used, or ate it before!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking with D - his face lights up when he sees me opening his cooking box - but unfortunately I've got less time now with the new baby... So loved your linky as it made me make time :)
      Marmite is a bit like Vegemite or bovril - not sure if you have any of those in the States?
      Thanks again for letting me join the link up :)

      Delete