Friday, 19 September 2014
Toddler cooking (4) aka the easiest pancakes ever
It's been a while since our last cooking post (possibly related to the arrival of the Doofling a few weeks ago...) but we made these today and they were perfect for making together - very easy, quick AND healthy :)
3 ingredient pancakes
Strictly these are 2-ingredient-pancakes with added fruit as the third ingredient. How simple is that?!
They take less than 5 minutes to make from start to finish (although by letting a toddler help we stretched it out over half an hour!) and are super healthy.
Toddler age: 22 months
Ingredients: 1 egg, 1 banana, large handful of blueberries (account for the number your toddler will munch during the mixing stage...!), oil for cooking
Equipment: mixing bowl, whisk, toddler knife and fork, frying pan, spatula
1. Mash banana up with a fork
2. Whisk egg in separate bowl and then add banana
3. Mix in blueberries (optional - or add a different fruit)
4. Heat up oil in frying pan and add a dollop (scientific huh?!) of mix
5. Cook for a few minutes on each side until light brown
6. Eat and enjoy :)
What did Doof enjoy doing?
- slicing up and then mashing the banana
- whisking the egg
- mixing in the fruit
- supervising the cooking from his highchair ;)
What was Doof not interested in or unable to do?
- he needed some help to fully mash the banana and evenly mix in with the egg
- he's too young to help with cooking over an open flame (in my opinion)
I was amazed at how easy and delicious these were (especially when still warm). The above amounts made 6 palm-sized ones which we quickly gobbled up! I think I am going to make these regularly at weekends now – they will be a yummy addition to breakfast and in the future will be such an easy way to introduce egg to Iz when she’s weaning (something I struggled with when Doof was at the same stage as he hated scrambled egg and that was the only mushy healthy food I could think of!).
Next time we might try strawberries or raspberries as the third ingredient, or even something more exotic like pomegranate :)